Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Week One: Day 4 - I have never been so inspired...

So I was watching MTV's show I Used to Be Fat that featured a very sweet and outgoing girl who weighed in at 253 lbs at 5'7".  At first, just watching her made me sad.  I thought to myself, "it's too bad there's no way she will ever look the way she really wants to look."  I am eating my words.  This girl was A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.  She gave herself 111 days (days between graduating high school and starting college) and had a personal trainer with her the entire time.  Despite her mother being a real downer, almost trying to sabotage her (issues with "letting go" I assume) this girl pulled through and after the 111 days, ended up weighing only 163.5 lbs! Amazing.  I was in shock by the end of the episode.  She looked fantastic.  I felt horrible about the thoughts I had. 

The one part that so far has stuck with me in the episode is how she began.  Her personal trainer had her doing exercises much like the ones I'm doing.  This girl almost gave up only 10 minutes into it.  And that, folks, is the FORK in the road of a weight loss journey.   She chose the right path and ended up just "sucking it up" (as her trainer so gently put it) and continued working out everyday.  YES, every day!  She could have easily said "this is too hard" and left.  Although she did say "this is too hard," (numerous times) she did NOT pair it with giving up.  Honestly, if I had not seen that episode, I might have hit my fork today.  I cannot stop thinking about how far she came, and this has made my day much easier than if I hadn't seen that episode.  I want to contact this young lady and THANK HER.

I keep thinking, "If she can do this, then so can I." I am coming from a much smaller place than her, and she powered right through.  This show was different.  This show was better than The Last 10 Pounds Bootcamp,  or even X-Weighted.   And maybe it wasn't the show itself that inspired me so much.  Maybe it was just the girl who was so adorable I could have pinched her cheeks off.

Anyways, I wasn't really expecting to make a post today, but I had to share my experience, my inspiration.  If you want, you can check out the full episode: I Used to be Fat  It is a truly amazing episode and maybe it'll help you power through too.

No comments:

Post a Comment